Thursday, December 16, 2010

Snow crystals and stereoscopic vision.

I haven't given up on this blog, but I'm going through a somewhat difficult time and my mind is elsewhere. It's thus on hold for an underdetermined period.

Nevertheless, I wanted to post something special for the Holiday season with these stereo images taken with an electronic microscope by the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center.

I'm copying here one image and I'm sending you to their website for the other ones.

You must first cross your eyes, relax your vision until there are three images, then focus on the center image (that will appear when you cross your eyes). Don't stand too close from your screen (about 60 cm). You can also enlarge the image by clicking on it.


source: BARC-USDA
The entire image set can be found here.

I'm skiving off, as there are some many fascinating things to tell about crystals, stereo vision, and microscopy...


Happy Holidays and I'm hoping to come back in more favorable conditions in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment